Ontario to announce plans for Stage 3 of reopening Monday


The Ford government will announce its plans for its third and final stage of reopening the Ontario economy at a news conference on Monday.

“I can confirm details about Stage 3 will be announced tomorrow,” Premier Doug Ford’s spokesperson Ivana Yelich told CTV News Toronto.

Ontario entered Stage 1 in late May and Stage 2 in a managed, phased effort through June and early July.

Stage 3 will follow the same staggered, phased approach, sources told CTV News Toronto.

The next stage could involve the resumption of activities such as indoor dining, bars, movie theatres and gyms.

Mayor John Tory said he met with Ford on Sunday and discussed whether Toronto moves to the next stage of reopening at the same time as other regions.

“The agreement we’ve had together is that we’re going to be placing health first, making sure that Toronto and the surrounding area may require some different attention in terms of the timing,” Tory told CP24 following the news of the upcoming announcement of the next stage of reopening.

Toronto was among the municipalities who moved to Stage 2 late due to its high number of COVID-19 cases.

The mayor noted that the city’s COVID-19 numbers have been steadily improving since entering Stage 2.

“It’s the province’s decision to make,” Tory said. “But I’m optimistic that they’re going to see us all continue to move forward.”

Tory noted last week that Stage 3 will also involve the reopening of all playground equipment across the province.

The province’s previous reopening framework document also said Stage 3 could involve the reopening of casinos, amusement and waterparks, and certain indoor sports and related practice sessions.

Ontario’s recent COVID-19 case growth has been encouraging, with daily case growth in the low 100s most days and close to 90 per cent of all lab-confirmed infections now considered resolved.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *